Friday, January 19, 2007

Training

This has been a much busier week than I thought it would be. This week we've been training everyday. On Wednesday, I had the class Disney calls Traditions. The instructors went over the traditions, missions statement, and ways that Disney does things. The class wound up being a lot more interesting than I thought it would be. I learned a lot of things I didn't know before such as the timeline of the Disney company and many personal stories Cast Members told us about how they "spread the magic."

Yesterday and today my schedule has been focused on my specific job; Merchandising. I attended Merchantainment, Disney's class on how to sell their products. Half of the class was taught orally and the other half was taught through an E-presentation. They covered the basics such as making eye contact and always thanking the guest. The class online also taught us how to tell if a dollar bill is counterfeit or not. I thought that was really interesting because I never knew how to do that. I found out that I am working in Disney's MGM Studios doing outdoor merchandising.

Today myself and another seven students had to tour Disney's MGM Studios to learn every aspect of the park. It was extremely interesting to see the backstage areas of the park that I didn't even know existed. They wanted us to be as knowledgable as possible about the park so we could inform guests on whatever information they needed. I also received my costume today, which according to Cast Members is like the "day of truth." I have to wear a blue shirt,black pants, a bow tie, and a white hat. It's pretty fashionable. I wouldn't wear it out, but it's all part of the experience. Tomorrow is my first day of actual training on the job in costume.

I think the most interesting and my favorite part has been meeting people from all over the world. I've met people from not only different states but different countries. It's really interesting to hear their stories and see why and how they heard about the Disney Internship Program. I want to make the most out of this experience and in order to do that, I'm going to network as much as possible.

No comments: