Saturday, March 3, 2007

Disney Exploration Series in Guest Service Class




This past week I signed up for another free class offered by Disney. This one is a little different from the Communications course I am taking. The official title of it is Exploring Guest Service at the Walt Disney World Resort. The objective of the course is to view how Disney has exceled in its guest service and how we can apply and learn the ways in which they practice it. The class is an 8 week class that meets every Wednesday for 2 hours. We will be looking at guest service through resorts, merchandise, park operations, food and beverage, and Disney profile leaders. One of the best parts of the class is that we will get to meet many different Disney executives. I am extremely excited to do this because I think it will be a great networking oppurtunity for me. My homework for the week consists of going to Disney's Grand Floridian Beach Resort and Spa. I have to observe the guest, cast and overall resort including the parking lot, porte cochere, lobby and lobby manager, and other leaders in the area, and theming. I am extremely excited to plunge into this course because I think I will be able to take a lot of the information I learn with me.

I also learned another interesting fact about how Disney's MGM Studios strategically places its garbages. All Disney garbages are 22 feet apart. In order to calculate the exact distance, Walt Disney handed guests who first entered Disneyland a piece of candy at the entrance. He would then calculate how many wrappers people left and how far away they were. It turned out that the distance from the distribution to the dropping of the wrapper was an average of 22 feet. Therefore, Disney has garbages every 22 feet from each other.

No comments: