Sunday, March 25, 2007

Campus Representative/ Disney's Exploration Series


One of the perks of becoming a Disney College Program Alumni is that you can apply for a position known as a Campus Representative. As a Campus Rep, it is your job to promote and introduce the Disney College Program to students on your current campus. Therefore, if I were to receive the position, I would be responsible to attending and promoting the program to students on the Rowan campus. Applications are due in April 1 and we are required to hand in a cover letter as well.
Qualifications for being a representative are:
  • Alumni of the Disney College Program.
  • Enrolled full-time or part-time in a college or university
  • Full-availability during the recruiting semester
  • Exhibit outstanding leadership qualities, highly creative and well organized
  • Maintain good standing with the Walt Disney World Co.
One of the other great perks about becoming a Campus Representative is that you get to enjoy all the privilages of a current college program participant such as free park entry and discounts on merchandise and food.

I would really enjoy taking on this position because I absolutely love the work I'm doing down here and I would love to take it back up to Rowan with me because I love the work I do at Rowan also. I think it would be a great oppurtunity for me to stay in contact with the Disney company, but at the same time share my incredible experience with other students at Rowan. We will be contacted about interviews after we've submitted our applications. Ill keep updates posted about it.

This week's Disney Exploration Series in Guest Serivce was in the field of Quick Service Food and Beverage. Now I must say, I was very deceived going into the class. I thought how interesting could a class be when we are talking to managers about fast food. I must say it was honestly the best class I've attended so far. Not only did they present the food choice decision they have to make everyday, but we got to sample what kind of decisions they are faced with as well in an activity at the end.

The activity was called Iron Chef and its rules were similiar to the one seen on the Food Network. We were broken up into groups and were given various snacks such as graham crackers, apples, M&Ms, marshmallows, peanut butter, rolls, English muffins, jelly, and banana chips. We were instructed we had to use the peanut butter but all other ingredients were optional. We were also given a sheet on how much of each item would cost to make our snack. Our next step was to make a snack or meal that guests in Walt Disney World would buy while staying in the budget and giving our snack a price and name. Our group decided to put peanut butter on the apple and throw some M&Ms and marshmallows on it, giving it a healthy side, but also the sweet taste. We named it the Messy Mickey.

We lost the competition because of the name. The managers said that giving a snack a name like that would cause the parents to instantly trigger "mess" when they heard of the name. It was very interesting to hear information like this because I think the decisions that go into food and beverage in Walt Disney World are underestimated and are just as challenging as opening up a new attraction. I thought the class was extremely interesting and I learned a lot about marketing.

Disney Fun Fact of the Week:
Spaceship Earth in EPCOT is designed with a special irrigation system that allows the water to run off to the sides intead of dripping straight down the globe and onto the guests walking underneath it. If you can see in the picture the posts coming straight down on the right and left side are what take the rain and flush it out and over the stores next to it and far away from the guests. If these posts were not present, the rain would run straight down the ball and onto the guests.

No comments: