Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Journalistic experiences and career aspirations

My name is Sharon Carpenter and I am 22 years old. I grew up in River Vale, NJ (North Jersey) and I still reside there. I live there with both parents and a younger brother. I graduated from Pascack Valley High School in 2004 and continued my education here at Rowan University. Snowboarding, the NY Yankees, I Love Lucy, and people are my passions in life.
My journalism interest started when I realized that I had a passion for writing. I love to write, but tell stories that are true. That led me to the path of journalism.
I started out as a public relations major, but I didn't enjoy sugar coating everything. I enjoyed reporting and interpreting the truth to the public. I decided that journalism may be the path that would allow me to pursue an interest like this one.
At first I wanted to be a sports journalist. My ideal goal was to work for ESPN and write either on their online journals or their magazine. As I began to take more and more journalism classes I found that I didn't want to be limited to strictly sports.
Unfortunately, as I took more and more classes in journalism and gained more writing experience, I found out that journalism was not something I wanted pursue in the future. My career aspirations changed to something more along the lines of human resources. I found out, through conducting so many interviews in journalism, that I realized that I wanted to be on the other side of the interviewing.
I have had the opportunity to write for The Whit. This has been a great experience to write for a college crowd. I have also experienced a taste of broadcast journalism at Studio News, which is an internal news company run by the Walt Disney World company. I got to experience what broadcast journalism is comprised of and shadow the staff that worked for them. I enjoyed the broadcast side of journalism more than the print side, but it was confirmed that journalism would not be my career.
Journalism has taught me a lot about writing. I learned the right way to write clearly, but not too verbose. My grammar has improved even in my speech. I do not regret majoring in journalism because it has taught me exactly what I want to do later on in my life.
Although my career aspirations changed, I learned a lot from my journalistic experiences and it was those experiences that formed my opinions today.

1 comment:

Deborah Woodell said...

Thanks for your post. You have a long time ahead of you and I hope you will utilize some of your journalistic skills in whatever venue you choose, HR or otherwise. In fact, my best friend has done HR work for Queensland University of Technology in Australia, and I once commented at how well-written her e-mails are. She replied that she developed a sharp eye because she writes all the ads for positions to be filled, so she has to be accurate! So, those skills will be valuable to you. I hope you get a lot out of this class...Prof Woodell